top of page

Two Second Half Goals Sink The Met

The Lakesiders returned home for the first time since the 26th of August on the weekend, as we welcomed Cardiff Met University to Maes Tegid,

Luke Wall & George Newell's second half goals earned a valuable three points for the Lakesiders after a relatively even first half, with the visitors coming close on several occasions throughout the first half.

Met Come Close

Despite a rather even first half, the visitors looked to have the better clear cut chances throughout the first 45 minutes. Harry Owen came agonisingly close for the visitors, after he got on the end of a cross around six yards out from goal, but luckily his effort went blazing over the bar from close range.

Lewis Rees also came very close to breaking the deadlock, as he sent a lovely taken curling effort towards Ramsay's right hand side, but luckily his effort ended up clipping the side netting without troubling Ramsay too much.

The closest the Town came to going in front was when Kieran Smith slipped in Ollie Shannon inside the box, however Met's defence were able to clear out the danger for a corner.

Wall & Newell's First League Goal!

Luke Wall would be the only half-time substitution for either side at the break as he replaced Ollie Southern meaning there was a shake up in defence for the second half.

It didn't take long for Luke Wall to make an impact on the match, as he latched on to a clearance from a corner, and hit a sweet strike into the far right hand corner on the half volley, giving the Town the lead early on in the second half!

Five minutes later, it was 2-0! Lassana Mendes' persistent pressure on the Met backline paid off, as he won the ball back after a Met clearance bounced off our number seven into space, and with his first touch; sent a ball right across the face of goal into the path of George Newell who had the simple task of tapping home our second!

Mendes Shows His Magic

The Town were a different side in the second half, with almost every attack looking likely of resulting in a goal, and this time it was Chris Venables almost becoming provider for Lassana Mendes. The Captain sent a superb ball over the top of the Met defence, with Mendes rushing in behind to meet the ball, and with the cheekiest of attempts, tried to lob Alex Lang in the Met goal only for the keeper to back-track onto his line and push the ball over the bar for a corner.

At the other end minutes later, Alex Ramsay pulled off a superb save to keep a clean sheet, as Sam Jones' instinctive header on goal was met with a cat-like save from our shot-stopper to keep the score at 2-0 and to wrap up a deserved three points.

Our focus quickly turns to Tuesday night, as we make the trip to Latham Park to take on Newtown AFC, with kick off at 7:45pm, with the hope of grabbing our first back-to-back wins of the season.


Bala Town - Alex Ramsay, Oliver Southern, Ross White, Nathan Peate, Naim Arsan, Antony Kay, Kieran Smith, Ollie Shannon, George Newell, Lassana Mendes, Chris Venables

Cardiff Met - Alex Lang, Matt Chubb, Alaric Jones, Emlyn Lewis, Eliot Evans, Chris Baker, Lewis Rees, Harry Owen, Chris Craven, Dixon Kabongo, Sam Jones


Bala Town - Luke Wall (52), George Newell (57)


Bala Town - Luke Wall > Ollie Southern (46), Adam Roscrow > George Newell (79), Paul Rutherford > Ollie Shannon (87)

Cardiff Met - Cian Williams > Chris Craven (73)

Yellow Cards:

Bala Town - Naim Arsan (89)

Cardiff Met - Alaric Jones (63)


bottom of page