top of page

The Champions Defeated By Dave Edwards Stunner!

The Champions Defeated By Dave Edwards Stunner!

The Lakesiders stay unbeaten this season with a 1-0 win over the Champions; Connah's Quay Nomads at the Deeside Stadium.

Byron Harrison looked a threat early on

It was an even start to the game at the home of the Champions, with new signing Byron Harrison looking to be a big threat in the air for the hosts, winning almost every high ball. However it was George Horan who came the closest in the early exchanges, as a ball into the back post was met by the Nomads Captain, only for his header to loop onto the top of the net.

Here came the drama...

After just 25 minutes gone, the hosts were down to 10 men! George Horan was sent off for a professional foul on Dave Edwards, before Chris Venables looked to have given us the lead, only for his effort to be ruled out for offside, the referee then came back to the original foul, and sent George Horan off. Both Leslie and Edwards stood over the free kick, but it was Edwards who struck the ball perfectly into the top right hand corner of the goal, and gave us a 1-0 lead!

Nomads hang on until the break

Following the goal, we saw most of the possession but could not find another goal before the break, with Andy Morrison's side sitting deep for the rest of the half, and hoping to launch the ball up to their 6ft3 forward Byron Harrison to get themselves up the pitch.

There was a slight scare for the hosts just five minutes from the break, as Chris Venables rattled the crossbar with an effort from the edge of the box and saw his effort canon back into the box, but the hosts were able to clear the danger.

Nomads come out fighting for the second half

Despite being down to 10 men, the hosts kept fighting throughout the second half, with Jamie Mullan having a shot on goal from inside the box, but his effort wasn't powerful enough to beat Alex Ramsay in goal. Byron Harrison was still a threat up top, coming close with a header at the back post, which was well saved by Ramsay pushing the ball out for a corner.

Declan Poole also had a volleyed effort go straight into the hands of Ramsay, with the hosts looking to snatch an equaliser.

The hosts make changes to try and snatch a point

Andy Morrison made a few changes with 20 minutes to go, as Aeron Edwards and Jordan Davies entered the game, but the Lakesiders defence stood strong and withstood any pressure late on in the game.

Despite some late pressure from the Champions, we got ourselves up the pitch through Kieran Smith and Paul Rutherford and stayed up the pitch until the final minute, where Chris Sang should of grabbed our second of the match, only for Oliver Byrne to make a great save diving across his goal to deny Sang his first goal for the club!

That was it! The Lakesiders left the Deeside Stadium with the three points having not won their for five years, while keeping up our unbeaten record for the season.

The Lakesiders will now face Bangor City in mid-week at Nanporth Stadium in the Nathaniel MG Cup, Tuesday September 21st at 7:45pm.

Match Stats:

Bala Town - Alex Ramsay, Oliver Southern, Nathan Peate, Anthony Stephens, Calum Woods, Steve Leslie, Kieran Smith, Paul Rutherford, Dave Edwards, Will Evans, Chris Venables.

Connah's Quay Nomads - Oliver Byrne, Ryan Harrington, George Horan, Kris Owens, Paulo Mendes, Jamie Mullan, Callum Morris, Declan Poole, Craig Curran, Byron Harrison, Jamie Insall

Goals: Dave Edwards (29)


Bala Town: Chris Sang > Will Evans (63), Ollie Shannon > Steve Leslie (79)

Connah's Quay Nomads: Tom Moore > Jamie Insall (30), Aeron Edwards > Paulo Mendes (72), Jordan Davies > Declan Poole (72)

Featured Image: NCM Media -


bottom of page