top of page

Aberystwyth rescue point late on against Lakesiders to conclude Phase One

The Lakesiders surrendered a two-goal lead in a dramatic 2-2 draw with Aberystwyth in our final game of phase one of the Cymru Premier.

An action-packed second-half saw Bala take a two-goal lead out of nowhere thanks to goals from Will Evans who scored a spectacular volley as well as Nathan Peate. The Seasiders fought their way back into the game however from two free-kicks. Mathew Jones struck the post before Owain Jones tapped in the rebound to get one back. Before a composed Jamie Veale converted a last-minute free-kick to complete the comeback.

Dull first-half

Similar to last week’s clash with the Seasiders, the game began slow and with little action on either end of the field. The visitors looked the better side for most of the first-half as they produced a few half chances while the Lakesiders struggled to make anything stick in the final third.

Lassana Mendes denied a possible goal-scoring opportunity for Aberystwyth ten minutes into the game when he stuck out a leg to block an effort from Sam Phillips. While our best chance came in the final minute of the half as Dean Ebbe flicked a header onto the woodwork from Sean Smith’s cross.

Evans sparks the game into life

Ebbe went close to giving us the lead once more early in the second-half as his header this time was cleared off the line by a defender. But it wasn’t much later into the game that we eventually took the lead through Evans. Our number eight finding the back of the net with a peach of a volley on the turn that found the top corner to put us in front in spectacular fashion.

Peate punishes the visitors

It didn’t take long for us to double our advantage as Peate went from creating the first, to providing the second as he bundled the ball in from close range. Aberystwyth failing to deal with a free-kick delivered into the box allowing our powerful centre-back to force the ball home.

The Seasiders cut the deficit

Aberystwyth pushed with all their might for the remaining twenty minutes trying to force their way back into the game. A clumsy free-kick conceded by Antony Kay gave them the hope they needed when Mathew Jones struck the post before Owain Jones awaiting the rebound to score a tap in.

Veale strikes late leveller

Again, another free-kick was awarded late on, this time in added-time and given away by Ollie Shannon on the edge of the area. It was Veale who stood up to take it and he effortlessly curled the ball into the top left corner past Ramsay who had no chance of reaching the strike as the Seasiders had somehow brought the game level.

Agony for the Lakesiders with two needless fouls costing what may well be a priceless two points come the end of the season in the push for the European places.

We now await our next set of fixtures for the Championship Conference as we continue our push for the European places with plenty still to play for.

Match Stats:

Bala Town - Alex Ramsay, Calum Woods, Antony Kay, Nathan Peate, Sean Smith, Lassana Mendes, Kieran Smith, Will Evans, Ollie Shannon, Dave Edwards, Dean Ebbe

Aberystwyth Town – Alexander Pinnock, Jack Rimmer, Rhys Davies, Louis Bradford, Lee Jenkins, Jack Thorn, Mathew Jones, John Owen, Harry Franklin, Sam Phillips, Jamie Veale


Bala Town – Chris Venables > Dave Edwards (81), Brad Bauress> Will Evans (87), Anthony Stephens > Dean Ebbe (90)

Aberystwyth Town – David Evans > Rhys Davies (70), Owain Jones > Sam Phillips (81)


bottom of page